This is a blog boing back several years to when Brenderup Quit manufacturing in the USA. Scroll down to look through articles that may be helpful. Call me any time with questions. Jeff Kurtz, 717-620-9676

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Several questions from a reader:

Miscelaneous questions from a reader:

My questions are:

  Trailer has a #195-65-R14 tires on it. It has been suggested that the size remain the same but get a stronger sidewall. Suggested to inflate to 39 PSI. Educate me please. What do those numbers 88,90,91, or 92 mean (suggested by Chris years ago)?  
 
I'm not a tire expert but I would agree that a stiffer sidewall might be good.  Here's a bit of tire info: http://mcgrefer.com/sizeinfo/1956514        The 89,90... might be a speed rating.    

Although these tires show no evidence of deterioration they are old. I read where even if a tire sits inside at the store for 6 years it is no longer any good...comment. Although it is stored inside a well ventilated barn and I have the tires up on rubber pads and drive it around every couple of months is this adequate to keep the tires and bearings in good shape?  My first trailer had ancient tires on it.  I think they were from a mobile home.   They never failed me.   I wouldn't be overly concerned.  Tires standing inthe sun age quickly but you seem to have kept this in a good place.

My brakes are fine.....by that I mean the trailer stops no problem....but I want them checked. All mechanics have insisted they break the seal to check the bearings as well. I realize that it is a 1997 trailer but it is my understanding that the bearings were sealed "for life". Is there another way to check their integrity without disturbing the seal?
 
The brake pads can be seen thru a small hole in the backing plate under the trailer.  There is a photo of this on my blog.  American cars had the same feature back in the 50's.  They should have at least 2mm of pad to be considered in adequate shape.   The brakes should never be adjusted individually once they have been installed and set correctly.  The only adjustment is made with the cable going to the parking brake lever..
 
The bearings can be chedked simply by jacking up the trailer and wiggling the wheels side to side.  If there is no play or grinding noises then all is well.
 
 
Thanks to you I maintain the zerk (sp.?) fittings (3) on the tongue. Is there anything else that I can do by myself?  Other than those fittings there isn't much to do.   I squirt wd40 on the ramp hinge often.

The trailer lives close to the ocean so salt is a problem. I have been using a marine grade lithium lubricant on hinges and other moving parts.  Good choice.

I recently went to see a 2011 Baron One TC for sale to see what was different. I like the new wheel jack arrangement where it stows horizontal, the extra safety latches at the top of the groom doors were a plus as were the catches to hold the groom doors open. Do you know where to get these parts? I called Andy and he did not have them.  The jack is something you can easily replace.   You will find many options at Tractor Supply.  

The other item that needs to be replaced is the tailgate pneumatic piston. It isn't what it once was of that I am sure. Do you know a source?   I think someone may have posted a location to purchase that dylinder but I can't find it.    I do get asked that often.  Perhaps call Traveled Lane Trailers in MD.  They were dealers and still sell used Brenderups.  They often have answers.

On one of your posts someone suggested sealing the floor with deck sealer....mine is in good shape and appears to have some sort of patterned rubberized coating. Was that standard? The first owner had some customizing done. I put a Rhino coating on my truck bed in 2005 and it has held up very well despite normal abuse. My thought was would it make sense to have a coat of that sprayed on the floor and up the sidewalls a bit to keep the floor in great condition "forever"?  Rhino coating sounds excellent to me.

One dealer told me that most of the parts above the floor were purchased here in the US and to find a part  google the part # and voila! Have you tried this method?  That can work.  The bearings were on Amazon at one time.

When they installed my hitch they set it to be 18 or 19" to top of the ball from the ground. From what I have read you are saying that that figure should have had 200- 250 lb. weight on the bumper or in the truck bed...???  Yes, that simulates your truck and trailer loaded.  Take the measurement again with weight inthe truck and see if it goes down vary far. 

 
What do you use to clean and protect the exterior surface?  I wash the outside with car wash stuff.   A  Mr Clean Magic Eraser takes off dirt without scratching.   I don't think I have used wax but it shouldn't hurt.   This thing is similar to boat coatings and the top is fiberglas so you can easily find products for that.

Thanks again for your time. Appreciate your and very helpful suggestions for Brenderups!

Best regards,

Karen 

No comments:

Post a Comment