This is a blog boing back several years to when Brenderup Quit manufacturing in the USA. Scroll down to look through articles that may be helpful. Call me any time with questions. Jeff Kurtz, 717-620-9676

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Together Again! Our Brenderup Baron is on the road!

Updated May 21st:    I created this site to help Brenderup Trailer owners find resources for these teriffic trailers which now have limited factory support.  Scroll down to read articles about my DIY experience and find dealers across the country who can assist.   

The new importer is . Rita and Andy Kaulbach
Mountain Top Trailer Sales
454 West Main St
Tilton, NH 03276
            1-603-494-9787       Andy
            1-603-493-8057       Rita
www.mountaintoptrailers.com

Email:    mtts@tds.net

Join our Newsletter email family at this site:   Reykur Associates Inc. <<<   (That is my internet business site)

Send whatever questions, dealer info or comments you may have to me at Jeff@KurtzInPA.com .  

~~~~~~~~~~

As for my own experience:

I need to write for about two days to explain it all, but it went back together nicely.   Here are the major points that every Brenderup owner should keep in mind:


  • Parking brake lever is an indicator of brake pad wear.   You should hear two clicks (and only two clicks) when the brake is applied.   If you hear a third click the brake cable should be adjusted.   This is NOT a dangerous situation, but an indicator of normal wear.
  • The above adjustment does not mean that your brakes are OK.   It is only an indicator that wear has taken place.   The brake shoes can be checked visually, requiring NO tools and no disassembly!  :)
  • Most mechanics are clueless and afraid of anything not stamped Made in USA.    This system is NOT complicated and requires NO special tools that a mechanic would not have.  Except maybe a torque wrench that goes to 214 ft-lbs.  (Available at any auto parts store:  $60.00) .   
  • The instructions are posted HERE. < Operation Guide
  • Upon completion of repair take a test drive (with a jack and a screwderiver!)   After one mile check each hub cap for excessive heat.   Caution:  Excessive = BLISTERS your finger)  If a cap is hot that wheel brake adjuster star nut needs to be backed off 5 clicks.
  • Drive several miles and check again.   If there is still a cap with excessive heat I suggest raising the wheel off the ground and rotating in to listen for rubs or dragging.   This was the case with ours.   I adjusted the star nut 5 turns further counterclockwise.
More conversation and suggestions to follow.   Happy Trails!

You can contact me at 717-620-9676 or kurtzinpa@gmail.com     -    Jeff Kurtz



8 comments:

  1. Thank you Jeff, for taking the time to post this important information for Brenderup owners.

    I am looking for a source for brake shoes and the 36mm Hub Locking Nut (flange nut) for a Prestige HB.

    I noted that a recent post stated they were unable to contact Jay Martin in Texas. Do you have any updated information?

    Thanks Much, again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it helps a few people each year it was time well spent.

    Let me see if I can reach Jay. There's also an engineer at the factory in Europe I can email.

    Will post results in a day or so.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard back from them today! Here's their contact info:

    jayandshawnie@suddenlink.net

    Subject: Re: Brenderup parts

    Euro Trailer Parts North America
    Jay & Shawnie Martin
    613 Storey Ave.
    Midland Texas 79701
    Cel. 432-556-9631

    Thanks Tons

    Jay Martin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking for the lever for the parking/emergency brake. Jay does not return calls or emails. Can you send me your source in Europe.

    thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff, I really appreciate that you've created this blog! I hope you'll continue to post info for we poor abandoned B-up owners.
    I have a '99 Baron that needs a new floor, and I have not found that your contact in Texas is any help whatsoever. Instead, I have been in touch with Traveled Lane Trailers by email (dunno where they're located). FYI, it appears that getting floor kits from Brenderup cargo-shipped over the pond is prohibitively expensive, so TLT has been looking into floors for by Fautras trailer company.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brenderup parts in the US - we need help!! Please read and email thomas.lund@thule.com or brenderup@thule.com after reading the exchange below. David at ASAP Trailer is willing to step up!!

    From David Stien at ASAP Trailers inTomball TX -- On April the 14th, I reached out to Mr. Thomas Hinsby Lund. He is the Export Manager for Brender-up Trailers. I sent an e-mail discussing the current parts situation. I expressed our frustration with Jay Martin's ability to secure parts and parts pricing. I stated in my e-mail that Mr. Martin originally directed the problem to be with the factory. I also stated that Mr. Martin will not currently return phone calls or e-mails.

    I inquired about becoming a O.E. parts distributor for Brender-up. This would involve quite an investment to include the purchase of an initial parts inventory, possibly even a container load. I expressed my concern that something is necessary "now" if Brender-up was to ever entertain the thought of selling trailers in the United States again. The bad press is not going to win them any new customers. To date, I have not received a reponse yet. Although, I am sure homework needs to be done to insure this would be a good direction for theit company.

    In an effort for positive progress. I encourage all Brender-up owners to relay their feelings on this subject. Please e-mail thomas.lund@thule.com or brenderup@thule.com

    Thank you, David Stein

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just emailed Thule and pretty much expressed the same feelings that David Stein had. I find it hard to believe that Thule would not at least attempt to market needed parts in the US given all of the Brenderup trailers here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marlene, I am currently trying to contact these guys for brake shoes and shocks,
    http://www.trailertek.com/acatalog/Brenderup_Spares.html

    You might try them for your parking break lever.

    Blane Balch

    ReplyDelete