This is a blog boing back several years to when Brenderup Quit manufacturing in the USA. Scroll down to look through articles that may be helpful. Call me any time with questions. Jeff Kurtz, 717-620-9676

Monday, March 24, 2014

Ramp strength? Cleanup?


Hi,
   Sorry, I'm not a "blog" person and hope you don't mind an off-line question.   I just bought a used Solo and the tailgate handle is badly rusted.  Can you advise me as to how best to restore this (not so concerned about appearance as function).  Also, the left tail light is out--are these standard bulbs that are available in US?
Best,
Bev 


The tailgate frame is remarkably strong... I can't imagine enough rust to affect the integrity as a loading ramp.      If you want to do-it-yourself you can buy a wire-brush thing that works on an electric drill and take off the rust.


Then rustoleum spray will have it looking decent again.

The hinge is a long rod that goes across the entire ramp (if it is the same as mine...)   I carry a can of WD-40 and spray a bunch into the spaces along the hinge pretty often.  There is no real way to pump grease into it.

Check the three grease fittings at the tongue of the trailer hitch.   two on top, one on bottom.  Those should receive a few pumps couple times each year.

Not sure what light bulbs are in that turn indicator.  Most look like little torpedoes and are available at auto stores.  BMW and AUDI use the same bulbs. The ones pictured below are just a new LED version of the same thing.   The interior lights use the same bulb.



I hope that is a help!

Happy Trails,

Jeff 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff! I recently purchased my 2nd Brenderup, a 2008 Baron LSL. It did not come with the special tool that releases the head divider. And without removing the head divider, I don't think I can raise the chest bar to where it needs to be. It looks SO EASY to remove that head divider if you have that tool, and definitely NOT if you don't have it. Do you know where I can get one or order one? I've spoken with Andy at Mountain Top, and I think he's going to try and make one. Bottomline is... I've had the trailer for several months now and can't use it cause I'm missing that critical little tool. Any suggestions? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeff:
    Very sorry to enter this question as a comment but I cannot figure out how to do a new POST.

    We are having trouble with our trailer lights one side does not light up at all.
    We installed a new plug from the trailer to the truck hooked up the wiring all works well except the left side, lights. Turn signal is ok. (the bulbs are ok because at one point they flickered with the turn signal). Do you have a wiring diagram for the plug? Would be grateful for any ideas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeff,
    I can't figure out how to past a message either. But I am looking for replacement tires for a 2008 Baron SLT. Is there something in the states that I can replace that size tire with? Tire size is 205/65R15.99. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jeff,

    im sorry about writing in the comments, I cant find your email addres to write you few questions. Please can you contact me at fortis.morcata@gmail,com? Thank you very much, yours sincelery Lucia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Victoria,

    In my experience, you'll have to use European brand tires. Watch out for dealers that will try to sell you "truck/trailer" tires as they have taller sidewalls and that will cause much trouble on the road. There isn't enough clearance between the wheels themselves or between the tires and the fenders. They'll rub and drag - that alone will slow you down tremendously and damage the tires way too soon. I've purchased Michelins and Pirellis for both of my trailers. They did just fine. It will be expensive. Do replace the spare at the same time. The last thing you need is to put it on the ground only to find out that it has dry rotted and gone flat or to have it blow out a few miles down the road. (Experience talking on a stock trailer!) I'll put the spare on the ground every so often just as part of maintenance. Tires do last longer when used.

    ReplyDelete